Minimal residual disease (MRD) testing tracks cancer cells in patients with blood cancers.
MRD refers to the small number of cancer cells that remain in the body during or after treatment.¹-⁴
MRD is also called measurable residual disease.
Measuring MRD allows physicians and patients to know if cancer cells are present—and how many. This knowledge can affect patient care.5-9
Learn more about MRD testing for patients with lymphoid cancers
MRD testing can be used at various time points in a patient’s care to determine depth of response to treatment, risk of disease progression or recurrence, and change in disease status.3,6,7,23,24
- Glossary. In: Schwab M, ed. Encyclopedia of Cancer. 3rd ed. Berlin, Germany: SpringerVerlag; 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-16483-5.
- National Cancer Institute. (n.d.). NCI Dictionary of Cancer Terms. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health. https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/ 797387.
- Brüggemann M, Kotrova M. Minimal residual disease in adult ALL: Technical aspects and implications for correct clinical interpretation. Blood Adv. 2017;1(25):2456-2466.
- Thompson M, Brander D, Nabhan C, Mato A. Minimal residual disease in chronic lymphocytic leukemia in the era of novel agents: A review. JAMA Oncol. 2018;4(3):394-400.
- Anderson KC, Auclair D, Kelloff GJ, et al. The role of minimal residual disease testing in myeloma treatment selection and drug development: Current value and future applications. Clin Cancer Res. 2017;23(15):3980-3993.
- Chen X, Wood BL. How do we measure MRD in ALL and how should measurements affect decisions. Re: treatment and prognosis? Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2017;30(3):237-248.
- Radich JP. How I monitor residual disease in chronic myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2009;114(16): 3376-3381.
- De Angelis F, Breccia M. Molecular monitoring as a path to cure acute promyelocytic leukemia. Rare Cancers Ther. 2015;3:119-132.
- Herrera AF, Armand P. Minimal residual disease assessment in lymphoma: Methods and applications. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35(34):3877-3887.
- Brüggemann M, Schrauder A, Raff T, et al; on behalf of the European Working Group for Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (EWALL), International Berlin-Frankfurt-Münster Study Group (I-BFM-SG). Standardized MRD quantiﬁcation in European ALL trials: Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on MRD assessment in Kiel, Germany, 18-20 September 2008. Leukemia. 2010;24(3):521-535.
- Ribera J-M, Oriol A, Morgades M, et al. Treatment of high-risk Philadelphia chromosome– negative acute lymphoblastic leukemia in adolescents and adults according to early cytologic response and minimal residual disease after consolidation assessed by ﬂow cytometry: Final results of the PETHEMA ALL-AR-03 trial. J Clin Oncol. 2014;32(15):1595-1604, appendix.
- Wood B, Wu D, Crossley B, et al. Measurable residual disease detection by high-throughput sequencing improves risk stratiﬁcation for pediatric B-ALL. Blood. 2018;131(12):1350-1359.
- Voso MT, Ottone T, Lavorgna S, et al., MRD in AML: The Role of New Techniques. Frontiers in Oncology. 2019;(9):655.
- Böttcher S, Ritgen M, Fischer K, et al. Minimal residual disease quantiﬁcation is an independent predictor of progression-free and overall survival in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: A multivariate analysis from the randomized GCLLSG CLL8 trial. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(9):980-988.8.
- Kwok M, Rawstron AC, Varghese A, et al. Minimal residual disease is an independent predictor for 10-year survival in CLL.Blood.2016;128(24):2770-2773.
- Ringelstein-Harlev S, Fineman R. Minimal residual disease surveillance in chronic lymphocytic leukemia by ﬂuorescence-activated cell sorting.Rambam Maimonides Med J. 2014;5(4):e0027. doi:10.5041/RMMJ.10161.
- Soverini S, De Benedittis C, Mancini M, Martinelli G. Best practices in chronic myeloid leukemia monitoring and management. Oncologist. 2016;21(5):626-633.
- Martinez-Lopez J, Lahuerta JJ, Pepin F, et al. Prognostic value of deep sequencing method for minimal residual disease detection in multiple myeloma.Blood.2014;123(20):3073-3079.
- Mateos M-V, Dimopoulos MA, Cavo M, et al; for the ALCYONE Trial Investigators. Daratumumab plus bortezomib, melphalan, and prednisone for untreated myeloma.N Engl J Med.2018;378(6):518-528.
- Korde N, Roschewski M, Zingone A, et al. Treatment with carﬁlzomib-lenalidomidedexamethasone with lenalidomide extension in patients with smoldering or newly diagnosed multiple myeloma.JAMA Oncol.2015;1(6):746-754.21.
- Armand P, Oki Y, Neuberg DS, et al. Detection of circulating tumour DNA in patients with aggressive B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma.Br J Haematol.2013;163(1):123-144.
- Kolstad A, Pedersen LB, Eskelund CW, et al; Nordic Lymphoma Group. Molecular monitoring after autologous stem cell transplantation and preemptive rituximab treatment of molecular relapse; results from the Nordic Mantle Cell Lymphoma studies (MCL2 and MCL3) with median follow-up of 8.5 years. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2017;23(3):428-435.
- Mailankody S, Korde N, Lesokhin AM, et al. Minimal residual disease in multiple myeloma: Bringing the bench to the bedside.Nat Rev Clin Oncol.2015;12(5):286-295.
- Vij R, Mazumder A, Klinger M, et al. Deep sequencing reveals myeloma cells in peripheral blood in majority of multiple myeloma patients.Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk.2014;14(2): 131-139.